MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spin-out on a mission to move smallholder farming families from poverty to prosperity through moringa. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value.
Starting in Ghana, we’ve built the first vertically integrated moringa supply chain in the world to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand in Ghana and turn moringa oil seeds into hair, face, and body beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand in North America. Since Q4 2013, we’ve created 150 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided $600K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 5000 farmers, and planted over 2,000,000 trees.
MoringaConnect was founded by an MIT-trained rocket scientist and Harvard-trained economist and our leadership team and advisers bring to bear decades of expertise in sustainable agriculture, agro-processing, food formulation, cosmetic chemistry, retail distribution, marketing, and advertising. We are backed by world-class venture investors, as well as top impact investors. Our work has been featured in Forbes, the Harvard Business Review, Good Morning America, The Guardian, Quartz, and UpWorthy.
Head of Farmer Engagement
MoringaConnect is improving lives through the moringa tree, connecting smallholder farmers to the global market for high quality natural products through our global beauty brand True Moringa.
We are seeking an experienced professional to oversee our farmer engagement program with the goal of building a profitable and efficacious supply chain for the highest quality moringa seeds and moving the smallholder farmers we serve from poverty to middle income.
Your role as Head of Farmer Engagement will be to direct strategy, build and develop a team, and supervise operations.
- Determine hiring needs and oversee candidate selection process
- Determine training needs and coordinate training and professional development for farmers and Farmer Success team members
- Lead Farmer Engagement team members in meeting quarterly impact and sourcing targets
- Monitor budgeting needs, work with Finance team to ensure consistent cash flow for Farmer Engagement team needs
- Supply Chain
- Work with the COO and Oil Production team to ensure consistent supply of seeds to meet orders
- Quality Assurance
- Work with relevant experts to develop the best harvest and post harvest processes to ensure maximum seed and oil yields
- Ensure compliance with Organic and Fair Trade certification standards
- Work with Agronomy team to identify highest producing seed variety and inputs and ensure most viable and productive stock and inputs is distributed to farmers
- Oversee documentation of best practices and their conversion into impactful training materials and curricula
- Data Management & Evaluation
- Evaluate and improve operational and reporting systems for input procurement, input distribution, farm data collection, and seed procurement to ensure impact and sourcing targets are met.
- Identify KPIs to track to measure success toward targets
- Create and monitor data validation systems to ensure accurate data collection
- Analyze data to make strategic, data-driven decisions to best achieve team targets
- Report on all business and impact metrics for the Farmer Engagement team
- Support CEO to submit grants and funding applications
You will likely fulfill many, though not all, of the following requirements:
- Demonstrated professional experience in a managerial role
- 10+ years experience engaging smallholder farmers in a commercial relationship in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 5-7 years experience directing operations and strategy for a 1000+ farmer network
- 5-7 years experience managing multiple direct reports
- Understanding of the agronomy and economics of tree crops
- Excellent organizational and communications skills with an ability to build and supervise functional, efficient, and relevant systems
- Capable of understanding complex problems and articulating clear steps forward
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive tools
- Thrive working in a fast-paced, results oriented environment
- Exhibit company values (integrity, excellence, passion) professionally and personally
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity for advancement to Head Of True Moringa Business Unit
- Transformative impact on small farming communities throughout Ghana
- Create a made in Ghana product that is retailed on the shelves of the biggest retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia
- Be a part of a purpose driven business and work alongside a talented global team
Location & Reporting Structure
- You will work out of our East Legon office and spend some time travelling to our farmer networks and hubs.
- You will report directly to the US-based COO & Head of True Moringa business unit
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health insurance
- Transport stipends, company laptop, mobile phone with data, etc.
If interested in this role kindly fill out this google form: