MORINGA FARM MANAGER
MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spinout headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with its base of operations in Ghana. Our work has been featured in Good Morning America, Forbes, The Guardian, UpWorthy, and the Harvard Business Review. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value. Starting in Ghana, we use our vertically integrated supply chain to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand and moringa oil seeds into clean beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand.
Since becoming operational in Q42013, we’ve created 90 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided more than $500K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 3000 farmers, and planted over 500,000 trees.
Successful applicant will primarily work from the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana as well as Accra and Kumasi.
Manage 144 acre commercial, organic farm, supervise farm team, and optimize the raw material production business unit of MoringaConnect.
- Work with staff agronomist to design and supervise all research related activities on the farm
- Support the development of high yielding moringa planting materials and best practices for moringa cultivation
- Determine GAPs for irrigation, organic fertilizer, planting density, etc
- Identify improved seed stock and varieties and work with supply chain team to facilitate their procurement
- Manage and expand farm staff and contract farmers as needed
- Manage farm and agricultural equipment investments
- Develop efficient, highly effective systems for all aspects of farm management or improve currently existing systems
- Lead data collection and reporting systems on the farm to monitor activities and progress as well as support innovation and learning
- Process input or materials requests for the farm
- Supervise expansion and procurement of irrigation systems for the farm
- Prepare a quarterly budget for the farm with help from the farm staff
- Work with finance and admin team to track farm expenditure and create robust financial systems
- Enforce compliance to all standards and certification as applicable
- Work with production and QA teams to create and improve systems related to product flow from cultivation, production, harvest and intake of final product at the factory.
- Perform other duties appropriate to this role, as may be required by the Company from time to time
Key Competencies and Qualifications
- Exhibit company values (integrity, humility, perseverance, drive, innovation, excellence, passion, and impact) professionally and personally
- 7-10 years experience in commercial agriculture or managing parcels of land larger than 50 hectares
- Graduate level degree in agronomy or agriculture is preferable
- Experience conducting research on agriculture practices
- Experience managing a commercial organic farm
- Expertise cultivating moringa (drumstick) for both seed and leaf production
- Expertise in project management, coordinating a diverse range of experts, contractors, and advisors and staff with a range of abilities, communication, and technical skills
- Resourceful and flexible with an appetite for rapid growth and change
- Competitive Salary
- Health Insurance
- Access to company car
- Paid Vacation
- Company Smartphone & Laptop
- All-expense-paid work related travel
Interested applicants should fill this form and send (1) cover letter and (2) CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Deadline: Rolling).