MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spin-out on a mission to move smallholder farming families from poverty to prosperity through moringa. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value.
Starting in Ghana, we’ve built the first vertically integrated moringa supply chain in the world to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand in Ghana and turn moringa oil seeds into hair, face, and body beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand in North America. Since Q4 2013, we’ve created 150 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided $600K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 5000 farmers, and planted over 2,000,000 trees.
MoringaConnect was founded by an MIT-trained rocket scientist and Harvard-trained economist and our leadership team and advisers bring to bear decades of expertise in sustainable agriculture, agro-processing, food formulation, cosmetic chemistry, retail distribution, marketing, and advertising. We are backed by world-class venture investors, as well as top impact investors. Our work has been featured in Forbes, the Harvard Business Review, Good Morning America, The Guardian, Quartz, and UpWorthy.
MoringaConnect seeks a skilled, experienced finance manager who will play a key role in the funding strategy and long-term financial security of our organization. You will investigate new ways to improve our profitability and analyze markets and market trends for opportunities on which we may capitalize. Your responsibilities will also include financial risk management and all audit aspects.
You have strong communication skills, leadership, business acumen, and experience to aid in the long-term growth and success of our company.
You will build and manage finance, accounting, banking, tax, and reporting systems at MoringaConnect. You must possess the leadership and management skills to manage members of the finance and administration departments and manage internal and external relationships related to those departments.
We require a person with strong emotional intelligence, and skills such as analytical, strong attention to detail, ability to “see the big picture” while working on day to day activities and a desire to constantly tackle new challenges. This is an unparalleled opportunity to work with a fast scaling company and help drive its path to success.
- Internal Reporting
- Provide monthly analysis of company financial performance to executive management
- Track performance of Ghana and US company entities and business subunits; provide monthly reports to executive management
- Track farming and product unit economics performance and provide comprehensive financial information to executive management to guide growth strategy
- Plan and implement financial control mechanisms to ensure that funds allocated and spent bring in the best value possible.
- Organise internal audits of the organisation’s and departmental finances.
- Staff Finance Support
- Improve and implement finance policy for staff
- Maintain internal financial records, procedures and controls to ensure they are adequate and relevant and maintained in accordance with established policies.
- Train staff on budgeting and work with each business unit to meet forecasted expenses and income
- Manage bookkeeping, petty cash, monthly financials of Ghana and USA entity using QuickBooks, and Spreadsheets
- Manage the recording of all accounting records on the organisation’s accounting system, including customer and supplier invoices, other income and expenditure, and journals, ensuring that the records are kept up to date.
- Maintain all financial related records of the organisation, including payroll.
- Review and Oversee budgets for the various departments in the company and also ensuring that budgets are adhered to.
- Manage bank accounts, liaising with banks, administering online bank authority limits, setting up online payments, acting as a cheque signatory.
- Ensure expenditure is appropriately authorised before payment.
- Undertake weekly bank reconciliations in Quickbooks, maintaining appropriate records for independent verification.
- External Reporting
- Manage appropriate financial procedures so that all finance related and accounting requirements, internal and external, are complied with.
- Liaise with the external accountants, auditors, certifying bodies, and other professional advisers
- Comply with tax laws for company and employees and make corporate tax payments on behalf of MoringaConnect
You will likely fulfill many, though not all, of the following requirements.
- Demonstrated professional experience in a managerial role
- 6 + years experience in a financial management position, preferably in agribusiness/food/cosmetics/manufacturing
- Degree in finance, accounting, or a related field. Professional certifications will be an added advantage
- Mastery using SAP, Sage, Quickbooks, or relevant software and spreadsheets for accounting. Preference will be given to candidates with specific experience using QuickBooks Manufacturing Software
- Conversant with Microsoft Office Software and Google Drive tools
- Proven ability to build new financial systems, not simply execute in an existing system
- Proven ability to manage financial reporting on a company level and business unit level
- Experience syncing historical financials, quarterly and monthly budgets, into financial model projections
- Expertise in budgeting, cash planning, financial analysis, project monitoring, and reporting
- Relentless attention to detail
- Comfortable working with Ghanaians and non-Ghanaians
- Thrive working in a fast-paced, results oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exhibit company values (integrity, excellence, passion) professionally and personally
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity for rapid advancement to CFO role
- Impact across millions of people worldwide
- Create a made in Ghana product that is retailed on the shelves of the biggest retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia
- Be a part of a purpose driven business and work alongside a talented global team
Location & Reporting Structure
- You will work out of our East Legon office and spend some time travelling to our farmer networks and hubs.
- You will report directly to the CEO who spends most of his time travelling outside Ghana and work alongside members of the Finance and Admin team.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance
- Transport stipends, company laptop, mobile phone with data, etc.
If interested in this role kindly fill out this google form: