MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spin-out on a mission to move smallholder farming families from poverty to prosperity through moringa. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value.
Starting in Ghana, we’ve built the first vertically integrated moringa supply chain in the world to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand in Ghana and turn moringa oil seeds into hair, face, and body beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand in North America. Since Q4 2013, we’ve created 150 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided $600K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 5000 farmers, and planted over 2,000,000 trees.
MoringaConnect was founded by an MIT-trained rocket scientist and Harvard-trained economist and our leadership team and advisers bring to bear decades of expertise in sustainable agriculture, agro-processing, food formulation, cosmetic chemistry, retail distribution, marketing, and advertising. We are backed by world-class venture investors, as well as top impact investors. Our work has been featured in Forbes, the Harvard Business Review, Good Morning America, The Guardian, Quartz, and UpWorthy.
Food Operations Manager
Minga Foods B2B (MF B2B) is the food business unit at MoringaConnect where we sell bulk moringa leaf powder to businesses creating their own food, beverage, snack, and supplement products. We are seeking a detail oriented, operations expert to oversee all aspects of our bulk moringa leaf powder supply chain, including production, processing, and logistics, as it grows into the leading grower, processor, and supplier of moringa powder from Africa.
Your role as Food Operations Manager is primarily to coordinate and manage all activities along our MF B2B value chain. You must be proactive in problem solving and come up with creative solutions to obstacles that arise. These will always require critical thinking skills and often considerable emotional intelligence (obstacles are often people related). You will be accountable for all systems along the MF B2B value chain in Ghana and will need to ensure they’re always functioning smoothly and seek ways to improve them whenever possible.
This is a unique opportunity to be a key driver in growing a dynamic business into a world leader in a rapidly growing industry, while creating sustainable impact in the form of jobs and income to smallholder farmers.
- Supply Chain
- Monitor all supply chain activities in Ghana, from farm to factory to port.
- Coordinate with the head of the Business Unit to ensure that the production accurately reflects the order pipeline
- Develop relationships with reliable external leaf suppliers to expand supply chain while ensuring quality and consistency
- Production and Processing
- Support the design of a new factory
- Measure and track operational performance using KPIs
- Supervise and support department heads to ensure consistent production growth
- Collaborate with team to solve problems
- Set quarterly targets with team and hold management accountable for reaching targets
- Quality Assurance
- Ensure best practices are being implemented and followed
- Responsible for all product meeting internal and external quality standards
- Research and coordinate procurement activities as needed
- Oversee logistics of orders from factory to port and on to the US or final destination
- Relentlessly work to identify opportunities to improve profitability of business
- Work directly with the Head of the Business Unit to define strategy to improve and grow all operations in the MF B2B
- Create and improve systems as needed in order to streamline operations
- Cash flow planning and financial planning
- Lead the 100+ people engaged as employees or farmers along the MF B2B value chain
- Serve in any capacity needed to ensure the success of this business unit
You will likely fulfill many, though not all, of the following requirements.
- 3-5 years in a leadership role in a relevant industry with responsibilities and competencies including: Food processing, Quality Assurance, Logistics
- Graduate degree is preferred, in one of the following: Management with a focus in manufacturing/operations, Food Technology, Food Sciences, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, or other degree similar to above
- 2+ years managing multiple direct reports, with hiring and firing experience
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to build and supervise functional, efficient, and relevant systems
- Effective communicator both in person and remotely (using different manner of communication technologies)
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies
- Ability to learn quickly and make data-driven decision
- Capable of understanding complex problems and articulating clear steps forward
- Exhibit company values (passion, integrity, excellence) professionally and personally
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity for advancement to Director of Operations (all Business Units) or other Senior Operational level roles
- Directly impact the lives of thousands of people in Ghana
- Create a made in Ghana product that is retailed on the shelves of the biggest retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia
- Be a part of a purpose driven business and work alongside a talented global team
Compensation & Benefits
- Full time role with competitive salary
- Health insurance
- Social Security Tiers 1 & 3
- Transport stipends, company laptop, mobile phone with data, etc.
- Occasional international travel
Location & Reporting Structure
- You will need to spend considerable time spent in Bono East region and will have a choice to be based in Techiman, Kumasi, or Accra.
- You will report directly to the Ghana General Manager and to the Head of Minga Foods, who is based in the USA.
If interested in this role kindly fill out this google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJMwsCPFbQu1FMBKkNPxvxjVzqQJm9JeZ96SLoeekKMsrnDQ/viewform