MoringaConnect is an MIT-Harvard spin-out on a mission to move smallholder farming families from poverty to prosperity through moringa. Our vision is to create a world powered by the moringa tree- a crop known locally as ‘the miracle tree’ for its nutritional, medicinal, and economic value.
Starting in Ghana, we’ve built the first vertically integrated moringa supply chain in the world to turn moringa leaves into nutritious beverages and snacks under our Minga Foods brand in Ghana and turn moringa oil seeds into hair, face, and body beauty products under our award-winning True Moringa brand in North America. Since Q4 2013, we’ve created 150 jobs along the value chain for women and youth, provided $600K in income to moringa farmers, built a network of 5000 farmers, and planted over 2,000,000 trees.
MoringaConnect was founded by an MIT-trained rocket scientist and Harvard-trained economist and our leadership team and advisers bring to bear decades of expertise in sustainable agriculture, agro-processing, food formulation, cosmetic chemistry, retail distribution, marketing, and advertising. We are backed by world-class venture investors, as well as top impact investors. Our work has been featured in Forbes, the Harvard Business Review, Good Morning America, The Guardian, Quartz, and UpWorthy.
We are looking for:
- tertiary level students who have completed at least 2 years in the following or related science, agriculture, engineering fields: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Agriculture, Animal Science, Botany.
- Aspiring NSS candidates with the above majors
- Graduates who have recently completed NSS
Applicants must have experience with the following:
- using scientific theories and explanations to develop hypotheses
- planning experiments to make observations, test hypotheses or explore phenomena
- applying a knowledge of a range of techniques, apparatus, and materials to select those appropriate both for fieldwork and for experiments
- carrying out experiments appropriately, having due regard to the correct manipulation of apparatus, the accuracy of measurements and health and safety considerations
- recognizing when to apply a knowledge of sampling techniques to ensure any samples collected are representative
- making and recording observations and measurements using a range of apparatus and methods
- evaluating methods and suggesting possible improvements and further investigations.
What’s in it for you:
- Opportunity to get first hand experience in applied research at an award-winning venture
- Opportunity to receive a return offer for full employment
- Directly impact the lives of thousands of people in Ghana
- Support the expansion of made in Ghana products that are retailed on the shelves of the biggest retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia
- Be a part of a purpose driven business and work alongside a talented global team
- Science/Engineering fellows will work from East Legon, Accra
- Agriculture related fellows location will be based on the experiments being conducted
- Summer Interns: a transportation and lunch allowance will be provided
- National Service: NSS allowance will be paid in addition to other benefits
How to Apply:
Submit your resume or CV and cover letter in an email titled “Research Fellowship Applicant” to email@example.com